WELCOME TO THE
One Room Schoolhouse
One-room schoolhouses were common in rural America during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Typically, a single teacher would teach all subjects to students in 1st-8th grade. The land for this schoolhouse was purchased by Howard Township School District #3, for $25, in 1875. In 1978, the schoolhouse was donated to the Roland Historical Society for a historical museum. On January 3, 1981, the schoolhouse was moved to its present site in Roland.
REO Fire Truck
In the late 1920s, the Roland Town Council and Fire Dept began researching the latest in fire fighting equipment. A couple of business fires and numerous farm fires necessitated the need to modernize. Their efforts resulted in this REO/Luverne Fire Apparatus truck being delivered to Roland in the summer of 1929.
This jail was housed in the first Roland town hall, which was a federal public works project, and completed in April 1935. Also included in the town hall was a water filtration plant, fire station, jail, council chamber, and clerk's office. The first wooden jail was built about 1901. The building was sold to Abel J. Helvig and moved to his farm in December 1931.
Early Farm Tools
Life on the farm for our earliest settlers was hard work. Breaking the tough prairie sod and preparing it for planting crops was a huge task, considering the tools they had to work with. Come to the Roland museum and check out some of the early farming tools!
Sports has been a valuable part of Roland's history. Baseball, softball and basketball were the primary sports played in small towns across the state. Roland is proud of its success in all three. Visit our museum to view all the trophies, memorabilia and pictures.
Roland Sesquicentennial Celebration
July 3-5th 2020
Memorial Day thru Labor Day
Sundays: 1-4 pm
*or by appointment
Have a question? Want to set up a tour? Maybe you'd like to volunteer or donate? Send us an email, we'd love to hear from you!